The first organized settlement of Kahlotus was by German immigrants, imported by the railroads, in around 1880. Among these settlers were several locally recognized pioneer families, including Hans Harder, who first platted the town in 1902 under the name "Hardersburg". The Harders still farm Kahlotus today.
The town was later renamed Kahlotus. The meaning of the word "Kahlotus" is uncertain. It is believed by many that it is a Native American word meaning "Hole in the ground", but it may instead mean "stinking water" or "bad water" in reference to the highly alkaline water in the now dry nearby lake. A third possibility is that the town was named for a Palouse tribal chief and signer of the Yakima Treaty of 1855. His name appeared with various spellings, including Kohlotus, Quillatose (by future governor Isaac Stevens), Qalatos, and Kahlatoose.
Harder's platting of the town coincided with the reinstatement of service on the Oregon & Washington Railroad & Navigation line between LaCrosse and Palouse Junction (now Connell), crossing the north end of town parallel to present-day Highway 260. Soon after, the Spokane, Portland & Seattle Railroad began construction on a second railroad on the south shore of nearby Kahlotus lake, including tunnels through the basalt cliffs near the southeast corner of town.
Kahlotus was officially incorporated on May 31, 1907. The town boomed during construction of the railroad, local legend claims that nearly 20 saloons, a bank, newspaper, numerous brothels, and other businesses appeared to serve the railroad workers.
Dryland farming has historically constituted the majority of the local economy. Relatively little irrigated agriculture occurs in the area, supported by local wells. The Columbia Basin Irrigation Project does not deliver water to Kahlotus.
In 1969, the initial phase of the Lower Monumental Dam was completed nearby, bringing more electricity and water for irrigation, but inundating the nearby Marmes Rockshelter. The dam also made the Snake River navigable, allowing grain to be barged downriver rather than being carried by train. Within a few years, the railroad through the north end of the valley was abandoned and removed. The Burlington Northern tracks along the south end of the lake bed and Devils Canyon were abandoned and removed in the late 1980s, and the right of way became part of the Columbia Plateau Trail State Park.
Kahlotus lake, near the east edge of town, was a highly alkaline, spring fed lake and was once a popular fishing spot full of bass and crappie. Several times in the early 20th century, the lake swelled with runoff and flooded the lower-lying portions of town. However, the lake shrank rapidly through the 1990s, and by 2000 only a small marshy area remained at the east end of the lake bed, far from town. Most likely, the lake disappeared due to a combination of several consecutive years of below average rainfall and increases in irrigation withdrawals within the valley. Now "Lake Bottom" farms is operated locally by the Van Hollebekes and offers Grain Feed Hay.
Today, the old Kahlotus bank is now owned by the Kahlotus Lions Club with about a dozen active members. Kahlotus also has a functioning City Hall, U.S. Post Office with Mon-Fri service, and an active branch of the Mid-Columbia Library system. The old grocery store and bar is now open as Suzie's Wagon Wheel Saloon, the Koyote Den Community Center and Life Memory Markers. The Farmer's Daughter convenience store and cafe located in the old Cutler building is open most days from 11-5pm or later and offers food made to order, sandwiches, espresso and much more!
Each year, on the first Saturday in June, our annual Kahlotus Day pioneer celebration is held. A parade, vendors and an annual softball game are the highlights of the day. In the morning, beginning around 7am, don't miss the Lions Club annual breakfast where hundreds are fed fresh cooked ham, eggs, and pancakes in the street for a small price.
* Much of this article was open sourced from Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahlotus,_Washington
Our Kahlotus School District houses approximately 50 students in grades PreK-12. The graduating class of 2016 has 3 students.
During it's 100+ year history, the largest graduating class Kahlotus ever had was 13 students in 1980. The smallest? 1 in 1950. An all-school reunion is held each year in May. In 2016 KHS will graduate 3 students.
Come visit the school's website for information on sports, activities and much more here:
City Hall Ordinances can be found by clicking here: CITY ORDINANCES or by hovering over the "Town Hall" link at the top of the page and then selecting the "City Ordinance" link.
Public Notices can be located by clicking here: PUBLIC NOTICES or by hovering over the "Town Hall" link at the top of the page and then selecting "Public Notices".
IMPORTANT NOTICES FROM KAHLOTUS TOWN HALL
Join us on Saturday, June 4th for our annual Lions Club Breakfast, parade, vendors, softball game and more! More info to come!
Copyright 2016 - The Official Website of Kahlotus, Washington. All rights reserved.